Paul Milet’s formal studies in chemistry (at the Laboratoire de la Manufacture de Sèvres) allowed him to enrich and expand the family ceramics and porcelain factory, founded by his father Félix Optat Milet in 1866, where he worked from 1894. Paul Milet strengthened the ties between art and pottery and, under his tenure, the company benefited from the collaboration of artists of the Manufacture Nationale de Céramique de Sèvres. His collaborators included Emile Belet, Lucien d’Eaubonne, Lucien Simonnet, Froment-Delormel, and L. Narbonne. Milet was known for his technical prowess particularly his mastery of the rich palette of enamels and won the medaille d’or at the 1900 Exposition Universelle for his faience decorated with cloisonné and gold foil enamel. In addition, he was called by Customs to identify imports from China. Milet had an affinity for the texture of stoneware, and notably used it to make vases in the Art Nouveau style, often whimsical, with organic lines, and in heavy relief. The company also made ink wells, wall pockets, and candlesticks. His later works displayed simpler form and glazed in high-contrast “Jazz Age” colors. Jon Howell’s blue crackle glaze vase with subtly pulled rim decoration for Sèvres (Item #1155) is a typical example of Milet’s use of vibrant color and pure form. Paul Milet worked with his father until the death of the latter in 1911 and with his son Henri, ingénieur-céramiste, who became the factory’s director in 1931. They sold their productions in the boutique Delvaux in Paris, founded by his father Optat and well-known ceramicist Clement Massier. Until 1925, Paul Milet also had a showroom at 51, rue de Paradis in Paris as well as in Sèvres. In addition, he distributed his products through the high-end Paris department stores Samaritaine and Galeries Lafayette. Milet displayed his work at the Salon des Artistes français, the Exposition des Arts décoratifs in 1902, the Exposition de la Porcelaine in 1907 at Musée Galliera, and the Exposition des grès, faïences et terres cuites in 1909 and 1911. He obtained an honorary award at the exposition des Arts du Feu in 1897.